Friday, September 26, 2008

Lopez Island

See all the pictures of this trip here

Lopez Island: Ahhhh. Driving out to the San Juan Islands ALWAYS has a calming effect on me. once the ferry boat leaves, you feel like you're leaving all your cares behind. Julie and I have spent quite a bit of time on the islands; mainly Orcas Island. For this 4 day/3 night trip we had one goal in mind: rest. We found it.

We stayed at Mackaye Harbor Inn, a perfect place to rest. Not only is the Inn situated right on the beach, but one of the "perks" of staying there is a $35 dollar kayak rental - that's for the whole duration of your stay. Most places on the island charge about $35 per hour for a kayak. I took full advantage, getting out 4 times to tool around the Harbor (Julie with me three of those trips). We saw some amazing things; seals, an otter, amazing birds, small fish, and all kinds of sea life along the clif edges including those bright red jellyfish, sea-stars, and more.

I'm making sound like an active vacation but in truth, we spent a lot of time reading. We purposely left our bikes home, just to help insure that we rested. Our favortie spot to read was iceburg point - here we found a beautiful point to sit and watch the world go by. We were fortunate to see a pod of Orca Whales go by the first time we visited; and on our last night, we watched the sun go down and light up the sky with amazing color.

See all the pictures of this trip here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe you went to Lopez without telling me. I could have shared all the secret "relaxing" and beautiful spots with you. Although iceburg certainly is a treasure.

I hope you enjoyed a Holly B's treat for me too.