Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Travel - yuck

So, presently I'm in San Diego at a Conference. Yesterday, was yet another example of why travel can sometimes be tough. Just the facts...

- woke up at 5:15 AM to catch my flight
- itinerary: supposed to leave at 7:54 AM to San Fran, catch a second flight at 10:50, arrive in San Diego by about 12:15.
- actual itinerary as follows
- 7:54 flight was on the runway, full speed ready for takeoff: pilot slams on his brakes. Apparently, an indicator light says the engine was overheating.
- We return to the terminal and after about 15 minutes, are instructed to "de-board." We are welcome to leave our bags on the plane though (yeah, right - I took mine which proved to be good).
- Went to the ticket counter to re-book - there are about 7 people in front of me, and about 60 people behind me (time is 8:45).
- Get to the front of the line (10:15 - do the math).
- Am re-booked on the 2nd flight: 8:15 PM arriving in San Diego at 9:30 - but I'm put on the stand by list for earlier flights.
- The next flight, 11:28 is delayed, but I make it (barely) - I'm actually one of the last 2 people they call on the list.
- Our connecting flight is supposed to leave at 2:08. Upon arriving in San Fran, fortunately, that flight is also delayed, meaning we can make it.
- the 2:08 flight leaves at 3:45, with me safely on it.

Am happy to have arrived when I did! Can't wait for the return trip (ugh).

No comments: